Old 26-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Brugmansia (Non-poisonous) Substitute?

"Bill Spohn" wrote in message
I just love Brugmansias, but I can't buy one because I'd be too
worried about my dog who has a habit of sleeping under trees. Is there
a similar looking non-poisonous plant/ornamental tree that can survive
in zone 8? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

First, a Brug may survive zone 8, but unless you either bring it inside or
under cover in winter, it will be severely cut back. They really work best

when
put in the basement and watered but little until Spring.

Second, they aren't trees, and I can't imagine the dog sleeping under it,

or
suffering even if he did.

Third, no, there isn't any other equivalent.

What makes you worry about the dog?

In the PNW, they are definitely considered container plants for any long
term survival prospects and may reach 6-8 feet but certainly not tree-like
proportions. I've grown any number of them (can't be bothered to overwinter
them anymore) and I also live and garden with an assortment of dogs and
other pets, none of which has ever shown the slightest interest in this
plant. Pets are often much more intellegent about knoshing on toxic plants
than we give them credit for - kids are another matter altogether.

A possible alternative (not exactly the same flowering effect, however) is
Clerodendrum trichotomum, Harlequin glorybower. Will eventually reach a
small tree-like form (10-12') and produces fragrant white flowers with red
calyces in late summer followed by interesting metallic blue drupes. Foliage
smells like peanut butter when crushed or rubbed. Slow to establish and late
to leaf out, but an interesting and attractive, hardy, small, tree-like
shrub.

pam - gardengal