Old 26-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Charles Perry

Default I think I did a B-A-A-A-D thing ...

Shiva wrote:

I have one hybrid rugosa, Hansa...

...How much damage did I do?

Probably just cosmetic damage. Hansa and her close Rugosa
cousins like to be let alone, at least in my Northern climate.
The finest specimin of Hansa that I have ever seen was growing
unattended on the grounds of an abandoned building on the shore
of Lake Superior.

In my own garden, I had some rugosa bushes that did quite well on
30 years of neglect until I decided that it was time to give them
attention. I pruned and then did not like the looks of them, so
I gave them fertilizer to encourage them to grow back. They
responded with water sprout growth that was sparce and awkward
looking. I should have confined my pruning to trimming dead wood
and then I should have let them regrow at their own deliberate
pace.

I doubt if you did any serious damage, but it may take a while
for the plant to grow back gracefully.

Regards,

Charles
--