Old 26-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Brian

Default Brugmansia (Non-poisonous) Substitute?

Animals seem to have the ability to avoid poisonous plants. I can think of
none that has anything other than an exceptionally unpleasant taste. As a
student we had to taste minute samples of many. Ricinin excepted A few
years ago a local child died eating two or three of these Castor Oil
seeds --but these don't grow in our climate.
Laburnum I would keep away from children.
Cattle poison easily with Yew clippings and accordingly we planted these
in graveyards. Every village had to grow them by order. Horses are
vulnerable to Ragwort and we can be prosecuted for permitting its growth.
I would not worry about your dog. Chocolate is the worst potential
poison.
Best Wishes.
"Jeanne Baggins" wrote in message
om...
I just love Brugmansias, but I can't buy one because I'd be too
worried about my dog who has a habit of sleeping under trees. Is there
a similar looking non-poisonous plant/ornamental tree that can survive
in zone 8? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeanne,
Seattle, WA