Old 27-03-2004, 01:02 AM
J Fortuna

Default Newbie

Peggy,

I have heard that African Violets and Phals like to be treated very
similarly and to live in a similar place, so if your African Violets love
your kitchen window, chances are high you can grow Phals there too. I
actually got my first two African Violets this weekend. :-) I have posted
some tips on Phals in the other Newbie thread in answer to Monica.

If you fear that humidity is a problem during the winter, consider getting a
humidifier. I got one this year, and am glad I did -- it's good for my
sinuses as well as for the orchids.

Best,
Joanna

"Peggy Elliott" wrote in message
Thanks for all your responses!!

Growing conditions:

I have a windowbox in the kitchen that faces east. The African violets

love
it.
I keep my heat set at 58 in the winter, but have a woodstove that really
only is effective in the living room. In the dining room I have a west
exposure that gets good afternoon sun.
In the summer it gets up to about 70 in the house. I think humidity may be
my worst problem, as the woodstove really dries the place out in the

winter.
I do have a native orchid that grows near my mailbox. I'm guessing its a
ladyslipper. I live in Charlottesville, Va zone 7. (Home of UVa and
Monticello!)
-Peg

"Peggy Elliott" wrote in message
I love orchids but have never owned one. Which one, in your opinion, is

the
best one(s) to start with and whats a good place to get them?