Old 27-03-2004, 06:42 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

Default Help ID vine/getting rid of them

"meya5867" in
om:

We recently moved into a house with a rather wild vine filled
backyard. I have been hacking away at these things since fall and
have removed most of them from the smaller trees but with the advent
of spring, I'm afraid it will be a losing battle as the ground is full
of runners.

I was a bit reluctant to spray it all with vegetation killer as we
have several chestnut trees with a gazillion nuts on the ground and
lots of small wildlife.
My yard also slighty slopes downward to a ditch/stream with tiny fish.
This usually dries up by summer, tho.

How do I get rid of these things? Pic#5,10, & 20 show the most
prolific vine and I think they might have had yellow-orangey trumpet
flowers last summer,

looks like japanese honeysuckle, lonicera japonica

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ISO-8859-1&q=%
22Japanese+Honeysuckle%22+control++%7Ceradicate+

there are thorny vines wild rose?

probably in sunnier locations? this is most notorious rosa:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ISO-8859-1&q=%
22Multiflora+Rose%22&sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...%22+control++%
7Ceradicate+%22southeast%22&spell=1

and apparently
poison ones itch as well. Pic#6 is Tarzan style stuff.

^^^^
i can't distinguish much except woods with some underplants :/

(tarzan? rattan is neat!)

http://home.bham.rr.com/meyepage/

all of those reseed from surrounding properties.

We are transplanted

from where?

in zone 7b, Alabama. Thanks for any ideas.

when dealing with weeds, attack the most prolific species first. all other
plants will compete.

cheap, fast, and controllable plants serve as partial smother/cover crops
against shorter sun loving weeds.