Old 27-03-2004, 08:06 AM
Misty

Default Seed help please?

"Eugene Gilmartin" wrote in message
Hi Misty

I have grown a few Passion Flowers - typically Passiflora caerulea. There
are only a few popular cultivated ones for the UK and all are RHS rated

half
hardy.

If they are 30mm then, if you think you can handle them, transplant to
individual pots - say 3" (how may leaves are on them?). I would suggest
grit/sand in the mix of standard JInnes 1 - say 1:2. They like good
drainage. JInnes 1 has enough nutirents to last till planting out time -
after risk of last frost (in Yorks here this is end May/first week of

June-
depends where you are. If you planted them out too early and then heard of

frost due, a covering with fleece will do).

Where to plant out - south facing and sheltered - and in containers
(preferably ) and in a well drained (sanded/gritted) soil/compost.

Shelter for winter (fleece and mulch - I think straw is best) and this is
easier if in containers (some bubble wrap around the containers - or

better
still line the inside, but not the container bottom) - cold wind will

scorch
and if roots are not well drained then they will easily be susceptible to
freezing conditions. Cut back in Feb/early March to about 18-30 ins.

Potash high food (like tomato food) will encourage flowers and fruits, the
latter being only a 'sometimes'.

Hopefully the above will be helpful - however if your friend is local, try
and reproduce his conditions - aspect and overwintering, for example

Enjoy the fruits! Maybe.

If you have any info where I have asked questions let me know and I will
qualify further.

"Misty" wrote in message
Hi

I am not an expert gardener and have subscribed to this group to seek

help
if possible!

I have germinated some passion fruit seeds in a pot in my kitchen.

What do I need to do to keep them and then grow them on? They are

currently
30mm tall.

When can I plant them outside and where is the best location for them?

My
garden lies south - north and is surrounded by 2 metre high close

boarded
fence.

Thank you.

Thnak you for your lengthy and helpful reply.