Old 27-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Lambertia

Default How do I Remove Possums

Hi All
About the possums. As a wildlife carer i would beg you please not to
use anything toxic ie mortien,rat bait,many other things designed to
"harmlessly" remove wildlife, they ALL kill.
The best methods to remove a
Mothball in containers with ventilated lids so possum cannot access
it. Do not mix camphor and naphthaleen ( toxic fumes) but 1 or the
other work great. THEN repair holes or remove branches to access roof
within 24hours 48 at the most or they will be back.

Relocation is not the answer always either because as an extreemly
teritorial animal you empty out a territory there will ALWAYS be
someone else to move in, they may be meaner and badder. Better the
devil you know i reckon!

Replace some of their habitat, we removed it where else are they going
to live? Hang a possum box, if you want a design there is a good one
on the NSW national parks site. http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au

Lights in the ceiling work short term.

But above all make it more pleasant for them outside, they only adapt
because they have to.

They are coming into the breeding season again they are going to be
looking for places to nest, i removed 3 from in a chimney yesterday.
Don't use rat poisons the joeys ingest this also and they die
painfully from internal bleeding over days along side mum, and this is
an extremely awful thing to have to experience.

Enjoy our wildlife, it is an extremely unique thing to experience up
close. How many other countries do you think you could have such a
diverse and unusual combination of fauna within our cities. Don't take
it for granted, It may not always be there!