Old 27-03-2004, 04:15 PM
Clanorchid

Default Old AOS Bulletins

All

It must have been 1992, as my then-girlfriend was very
unsympathetic, when I saw the owners on CNN, having been wiped out by the
hurricane. I don't know what impact the Benomyl had, but the storm must
have did them in.

Just a historical note and update re Jones and Scully. Benlate, not Benomyl,
got them first. They were the first orchid company to settle, so benefited
well. Hurricane Andrew got them just as they started rebuilding from Benlate.
By this time, management was in the hands of the younger Scullys, who decided
enough was enough.

But Orchid growers don't always fade away. Robert Scully, Jr., was at the helm
of the Board of Trustees of Selby Gardens, during the Management Turmoil and
The Phrag Kovachii incident, so often reported in the local media. Bob is still
growing orchids here in Sarasota, and always looking for some of those
wonderful old Jones and Scully crosses that got sent flying across the
Everglades by Andrew. Bob and his wife Sue are great and generous assets to the
Sarasota Orchid Community.

Cheers

Karen and Jerry

Camp Lot A Noise Tropicals (C.L.A.N.) http://www.clanorchids.com/
Orchid Species, Hybrids, Supplies, Ezine, Books and Photos.
Chat (941)351-2483 Order only 1-800-351-CITE