Old 27-03-2004, 11:17 PM
David Hershey

Default Invasive Plants

(Iris Cohen) wrote in message ...
The annual Washington D.C. Japanese cherry blossom festival is a good
example. An equally spectacular display could be had with American
native trees such as dogwoods and redbuds.

Not a good example. The cherry trees were a gift from Japan. We could hardly
have turned them down. And they are certainly not invasive, that I know of.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

This is classic example of taking something out of context. Here is
the complete paragraph:

"If federal or state governments wanted to demonstrate leadership in
the area of invasive ornamental plants, they would require that all
new trees and shrubs used to landscape government properties are U.S.
natives. American native plants don't get much respect in the USA, and
planting native plants is not widely considered patriotic. Europeans
often seem to appreciate American flora more than Americans. The