Old 27-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default cold frames

The message
from "Ann Marley" contains these words:

Hello all,
I am new to this newsgroup, in fact to any newsgroup. Can anyone advise the
pro and cons of cold frames. I have seen aluminium frames with
horticultural glass or polycarbonate 'glass' for sides and top, and
traditional wood sides with glass or polycarbonate tops. All similar sizes
and prices. Has anyone any experience with either one or the other. I live
in the North West of England and have just taken on an extremely overgrown
allotment.

Hi Ann..have you read the weekly help post called abcfor newcomers to
uk.rec.gardening? It will direct you to some useful FAQ's (frequently
asked questions).

Unless your allotment is totally secure I wouldn't recommend spending
a lot of money on a smart bought coldframe; it could be a bit too
tempting to thieves and vandals. You can improvise a free one very
effectively from a wooden-side frame made to fit an old window or double
glazing panel for the top. That's what I have. Very useful for giving
extra protection to trays of seedlings and cuttings, and heavy enough
not to blow away in a gale.

Janet.