Old 28-03-2004, 09:02 AM
Loki

Default Compost - how to use

il Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:26:29 GMT, Frogleg ha scritto:

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 22:37:42 -0500, Anonymous
wrote:

IIRC, compost generally assays out at about 1-1-1. It's not too strong. If
anything, its value as a fertilizer is over-rated. Perhaps you were
thinking about straight, uncomposted, manures?

Do you know, offhand, of any sites that describe the 'nutritional
content' of average compost? As you say, a lot of people tout its
value as fertilizer, while I've always thought that its soil-improving
characteristics were what makes it valuable/necessary.

I'm with you. To me the compost is about soil structure benefits,
recycling and giving back some of what was taken out and less about
fertilizer needs. Without testing compost is just an unknown NPK mix.
Perhaps acidic and good for those plants that like it, but it all
depends on what went into the pile in the first place.

--
Cheers,