Old 28-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Rod

Default Fast growing SMALL tree?

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:12:47 +0000, Rosie wrote:

Rod wrote about the amelanchier:

Nice one - well drained acid soil needed with preferably a bit of shelter
from cold winds.

Now you mention it, I have kind of compacted soil which gets pretty wet as
my water butt near it is always leaking.

Shame because I liked that idea!

ROSIE

Any chance of improving the soil? - open it up a bit with good garden
compost and a good sharp grit.Drainage? It will like it reliably moist but
not waterlogged so just try to arrange for excess water to drain away.
Another thing to bear in mind tho'. Amelanchier is one of my favourite
small trees but the bad news is it doesn't stay in flower for very long.
That heightens the pleasure for me but might not do it for everybody.

Rod