Old 28-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Flavour and tomatoes

In article ,
Howard wrote:
Ha, just the group I need.

I would like to get hold of some tomato seeds that will produce
deliciously flavoured tomatoes.

I know that these seeds exist but are not sold at regular suppliers
because of registration fees and such like.

But I have no clue about where to start looking.

There are a fair number of flavoursome varieties sold by normal seed
merchants - do a Web search for Tucker's, Thompson and Morgan, and
look out for Unwins and so on. You can get the unusual varieties
from Henry Doubleday, but you have to join the association (not a
major problem!)

However, only about a third of the flavour is due to the variety.
Another third is not watering as much as commercial growers do,
and the last third is maximising the amount of sunlight. Not a
lot that you can do about the last in the UK :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.