Old 28-03-2004, 04:42 PM
quest

Default Insecticide / Miticide for Brugmansia

Interesting, if it works, and doesn't kill the brugs.
Avid is also sold in 8 oz containers for $99, if you look up Avid and 8
ounce. It's used 4 drops to a 32 oz sprayer (average spray window cleaner
bottle) and will last a very long time. I went ahead and bought it, since
mites all but destroyed my dozens of roses before they attempted the
greenhouse coup.
It was to late for the roses, but it cleared them out of the GH without
damage to the brug babies, and I'll soon mix up a gallon batch for all the
outdoor roses. Good luck with the ivermectin experiment, and please let us
know what comes of it.

"Widdups" wrote in message
Update:

Fortunalty the ivermectin is in a solution that facilitates its dispersion
in water. Ivermectin by itself is a non polar compound and does not
disperse or dissolve in water. Merge cannot be used as a surfactant /
solvent mix because it causes the Ivomec injectible fluid to coagulate.
Perhaps it contains an incompatible adjuvunct or preservative agent.

As of yet the spray does not appear to be phytotoxic. I have sprayed a

few
leaves with no measured ill effect on the plant yet. In a few more days,

will try to spray the whole plant to test the effectiveness of the

chemical
against the spider mites.

-Joe

"Widdups" wrote in message
Having found no newsgroups for ornamental plants, agriculture chemicals,

or
house plants, I hope someone here can provide some advice. I have a few
houseplants (Brugmansia hybrids) under attack from spider mites. The

best
treatment I have found for spider mites is a miticide called Avid.

However,
Avid is only sold in large quantities for large amounts of money ($300

US
per container). But I note from reading the Lable and MSDS online
(something more people should do) that the active ingredient in Avid is
abamectin. When searching for abamectin on the internet, I find that it

is
chemically very similar to ivermectin, differing only by a double bond

vs
single bond in one location. For a chemical diagram see
http://www.alanwood.net/pesticides/abamectin.html and
http://www.alanwood.net/pesticides/ivermectin.html Now ivermectin is
readily available in smaller quantities from the local veterinarian

where
it
is used to control internal and external parasites in livestock. I use

it
for pets too, a practice that is very effective against flea outbreaks,

but
off lable. So I plan on aquiring 1.5 ml of Ivomec injectible from my

vet,
adding an emusifier (likely a ml or 2 of the premium ag chemical

surfactant
blend Merge by BASF) and bringing the volume up to 1 litre with RO

water.
This mixture will have an active ingredient level between the lable

rates
given for Avid. I can then pour into hand sprayer and apply in

accordance
with the Avid lable.

Any comments in regards to my idea would be greatly appreciated.

-Joe