Old 28-03-2004, 07:37 PM
David Hyams

Default cold frames

I look out for people having double glazing installed and the workers are
more than happy for me to take away as many as the old frames as I want. It
really is simple to stand 4 up in the ground, simply held in place by the
soil and a couple on the top giving you a free effective cold frame. I grow
my early lettuces in them with good results.

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:29:22 -0000, Ann Marley wrote:

I am new to this newsgroup, in fact to any newsgroup. Can anyone advise

the
pro and cons of cold frames. I have seen aluminium frames with
horticultural glass or polycarbonate 'glass' for sides and top, and
traditional wood sides with glass or polycarbonate tops. All similar

sizes
and prices. Has anyone any experience with either one or the other. I

live
in the North West of England and have just taken on an extremely

overgrown
allotment.

Wood rots. Go for aluminum.

Polycarbonate eventually goes cloudy, but glass is breakable, so
it's a toss up between the two. If you can put your frames where
they are protected from tree branches, heavy snow loads, rock-
throwing yobs and such, I'd go for the glass.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada