Old 28-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Larry Stoter

Default Flavour and tomatoes

Howard wrote:

Ha, just the group I need.

I would like to get hold of some tomato seeds that will produce
deliciously flavoured tomatoes.

I know that these seeds exist but are not sold at regular suppliers
because of registration fees and such like.

But I have no clue about where to start looking.

TIA

Last summer we tried Cherokee Purple, from the HDRA seed library (no
problems with delivery or germination). A sort of marmande-type but not
quite so big. Superb flavour although at first we thought they were
rotting - when ripe they tend to develop quite a strong purple tinge
which looks a little as though they have been caught by a frost and are
starting to rot. Survived last summer with minimal watering.

Personally, I've never found any tomatoes in UK shops which have any
decent taste and only eat those we grow ourselves. Commercially produced
tomatoes really are tasteless and watery.
--
Larry Stoter