Old 28-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Loki

Default Cherry trees from pits?

il Sun, 28 Mar 2004 09:38:18 -0500, Steve ha scritto:

If I was wanting to play around with cherry seedlings, here is what
I would probably do. I would plant those seeds (though I would have
either planted them last fall or put them in the refrigerator with
some moist peat mix for 2 months).
I would let those seedlings grow for a couple of years then graft
some or all of them to good varieties. ...but... I would place the
graft high enough to be above a lower branch. I would leave that
lower branch there until it, and the rest of the tree, flowers and
fruits. That way, if one of the seedlings turned out to be that one
in a million super fruit, it wouldn't be lost forever as a root stock.
All just for fun.

And for someone with lots of room. But a great idea. I've never done
grafting. Is is hard to be successful?
--
Cheers,