Old 28-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Hal

Default new to koi need help in choosing a pond liner

On 27 Mar 2004 08:43:02 -0800, (rigz) wrote:

So I saw the 125 gal pond. How many small koi can I start with in
there?
What type of pump would I need?

Koi need more room, but 4 or 5 goldfish would make nice pets. Common
goldfish/commets grow into nice looking fish, but they are just
goldfish, I like shubunkin. There are also lots of fancy goldfish
with flowing fins and ugly heads, but some people like them.

A small pump that pumps from 100 to 200 gallons per hour will do
nicely and you might want to add a filter hidden in a container, like
a one gallon ice cream container. Don't forget to add some plants
too.

Problem with the in pond filter around the pump is that it has to be
cleaned periodically. Another solution is to add a barrel above the
pond and run the water up to the barrel, filter it there and allow it
spill out a pipe/spillway back down into the pond.

Regards,

Hal