Old 28-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Franz Heymann

Default UV?

"Titch" wrote in message
I mentioned in a previous post about using a reptile heat

mat to propagate
seeds, they are coming along great. My question is I have

a 3 foot UV tube,
would this be OK to place over the top of the seed trays

so they get
sunlight? My window sills are full and its still too cold

for what I am
trying to grow to place them outside just yet.

It is not UV which is required for photosynthesis, but a
good balance between the red and the blue components of the
light.
A daylight fluorescent tube is OK, but you will have to
suspend it just a few inches above the seedlings, otherwise
they will become leggy.

Franz