Old 29-03-2004, 01:12 AM
Evergreen Gardenworks

Default [IBC] son of a beech

At 07:56 PM 3/25/04 -0800, Kitsune Miko wrote:
I got some plants that were called Texas Elms. They
were quite pot bound. I got lots of little things
that I divided from the main plant. I got the plant
when it was dormant.

Thinking it was an elm, I did root cuttings from 1"
diameter roots. Now that the other stuff is
sprouting, I see beach leaves, not elm leaves. What a
beech.

SO............ will these root cuttings sprout or not?

Kitsune

I think Alan is right, you probably have Ulmus crassifolia. I have heard
them called Texas elms. And the leaves do resemble small beech leaves, ie,
they have the same ridging pattern. They sprout very easily from the roots
as do most elms. They should have corky wings on the branches.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++