Old 29-03-2004, 01:15 AM
David Hershey

Default Invasive Plants

(Phred) wrote in message ...
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In article , David
Hershey writes
Besides Washington, D.C.,
what other national capitals are so famous for their foreign trees?

If London is famous for any trees, it would be the Planes (hybrids
between Mediterranean and Californian species, IIRC).

If you're not concerned about the company you keep, I'm told you can
go to Canberra in autumn to see the display of "autumn colours" in the
poplars and similar. Very attractive, but not very Australian.

Cheers, Phred.

I'm not aware that Londoners have a planetree festival similar to the
famous Washington D.C. cherry blossom festival.

London plane is supposedly a hybrid with the eastern North American
species, Platanus occidentalis. The California sycamore is Platanus
racemosa.