Old 29-03-2004, 01:45 AM
Steve Harris

Default Flavour and tomatoes

In article ,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

However, only about a third of the flavour is due to the variety.

I would put it at 75%. Last year, I grew Gardeners Delight, Red Alert
and Ailsa Craig on the same small plot with identical treatment.

The Red Alert was Ok to eat, very early and little work
The Ailsa Craig gave pleasant medium sized fruit and was rather a thug.
The Gardeners Delight were packed with that real tomato flavour form a
golden age when tomatoes were real tomatoes ...

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/