Old 29-03-2004, 12:05 PM
J Jackson

Default Flavour and tomatoes

Nick Maclaren wrote:
: I would like to get hold of some tomato seeds that will produce
: deliciously flavoured tomatoes.
:
: I know that these seeds exist but are not sold at regular suppliers
: because of registration fees and such like.
:
: But I have no clue about where to start looking.

: There are a fair number of flavoursome varieties sold by normal seed
: merchants - do a Web search for Tucker's, Thompson and Morgan, and
: look out for Unwins and so on. You can get the unusual varieties
: from Henry Doubleday, but you have to join the association (not a
: major problem!)

: However, only about a third of the flavour is due to the variety.
: Another third is not watering as much as commercial growers do,
: and the last third is maximising the amount of sunlight. Not a
: lot that you can do about the last in the UK :-(

And the 4th third (:-) is flavour preference - some like sweet tomatoes,
some like less sweet. What some would describe as wonderfully flavourfull
others would describe as poor! So try a few. My regular favorite
outdoor uk tomato is Red Alert, a bush type.