Old 29-03-2004, 02:13 PM
nick gray

Default Sick plum tree - probably silver leaf

"Alastair" wrote in message
om...
Hi there,

Moved into my new house back in December and the garden contains a
mature plum tree (no idea of age or type). I recall when viewing the
house last summer that it seemed to have a lot of dead branches and
the previous owner had admitted to doing some pruning.
Come this spring, one of the branches developed some distinct fungal
growths and for quite a while I was convinced the whole tree was dead.
To my joy though, I have spotted emergent leaves on several branches.
I now plan to cut out the dead wood and hopefully save the tree.
My main question is, should I still wait till later in the spring
before I do any pruning, or would it be better to cut out the bad wood
straight away?

Cheers
Alastair

Hi Alastair,

To reduce the infection of silver leaf, it's best to leave the pruning until
late spring/early summer. Treat any open cuts with wound paint.

Regards

Nick
www.ukgardening.co.uk