Old 29-03-2004, 03:07 PM
redclay

Default Compost

Jo Hall wrote in message
Hello
I have now dug my patch and planted my first batch of lettuces and
strawberries. However, my questions relates to compost. My neighbour has
kindly donated a bucket of homemade compost and I am not sure what to do
with it. All the books I have read on the subject have advised to mix the
compost with the soil before planting. I have already planted so can I

just
spread the compost on the surface of the soil? Would that benefit the
plants at all?
Thanks in advance
Jo

If you plan on making your own compost pile you can use the bucket as a
starter. If not then yes you can spread the compost like you would mulch.
The nutrients will leach into the ground and be taken up by the plants. If
you bag your grass cuttings you can use that as well which will retain
moisture. In the fall the layer of mulch can be turned into the soil. I
think of it as a continuous composting operation. Once every two weeks I
spread a little 10-10-10 on the surface of the "composting mulch" to assist
the process.