Old 29-03-2004, 03:17 PM
mike. buckley

Default Frogspawn and cats?!

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"mike b. wrote in message
After moving into a house with a pond I was pretty pleased to discover
some frogspawn in our pond. I was less pleased this morning to discover
that next doors cat appeared to be eating it.
This is a new one on me, is this common? I've had several ponds with
spawn in them before and never had this problem.

I'll be putting some mesh over the spawn to protect it (I'd rather shoot
the cat to be honest) so I should still see some tadpoles later in
Spring.

Hope all the lovely cats we get in the garden don't get a liking for it or
my Koi won't have their usual spring feast of nice juicy tadpoles. Frogs in
a fish pond are not a good idea anyway, they can bring the now common
disease "Red Leg" into the pond and that bacterium is transferable to fish
with dire consequences.

Interesting, though I have no fish now I've had ponds before where the
two have coexisted successfully for many years. Well apart from a lot of
it getting eaten before we could move it to a second pond..

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2