Old 29-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Andy Hunt

Default UV?

I mentioned in a previous post about using a reptile heat mat to propagate
seeds, they are coming along great. My question is I have a 3 foot UV

tube,
would this be OK to place over the top of the seed trays so they get
sunlight? My window sills are full and its still too cold for what I am
trying to grow to place them outside just yet.

Blimey . . . I never thought I'd see someone with this idea. I have just
done exactly the same thing with an old heat mat I had for a cane toad and
some salamanders. The patio chillis and sweetcorn just shot up when I put
the mat under them. It seemed to work as an antidote to the "spring"
weather, which seems to have been holding everything back here up North . .
..

I doubt whether a UV tube would be any good, but as you've got the fitting,
just replace it with a normal 'white' fluorescent tube - job's a good 'un,
perfect for seedlings of all description.

Andy