Old 29-03-2004, 07:36 PM
redclay

Default Compost

Inge Jones wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...

Well I'm not going to have a compost heap of my own and the neighbours
don't either as that would take up about 20% of the planting area, so
what's the best easily-available bagged stuff to spread each year?

The easiest thing to do is use your rear bagging lawn mower and just empty
it and spread the grass clippings. In the fall use it to collect the leaves
and such. In the fall add some lime to neutralize the acidity of the
leaves. How much, just add cups at a time. You can not have too much lime.
If you can get some 5 gallon buckets( 18 to 22 liters) with tops you can
pack them tight with leaves, sticks and stuff add some water and some
10-10-10 and
cover tightly. Leave them in the sun and in about 6 weeks you have some
very rich, very smelly stuff to top dress between the rows. It really does
smell bad if done right but the plants love it. Any gardening book will
have a more complete description.