Old 29-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Steve Wertz

Default Lizard Identification

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:36:00 -0600, Katra
wrote:

Some people call them chameleons due to the ability to change color,
(you might watch one sometime on a stump that is a dark brown, but when
they move to foliage, they will turn green).

Chameleons are butt ugly. There are much prettier ;-)

These are called "Anoles".

http://www.eoni.com/~neener/anoles.html

Neat lizards. :-)

Yeah, that's them. Here's another site I found that mentions they
dump their tail when grabbed. A good defense from cats at least.
My cat came home with one of these tails in his mouth one time, it
was still squirming - it was pretty spooky. Now I know where it
came from.

http://www.wildtexas.com/wildguides/anole.php

Thanks Rusty and Kathy (I'm on a slow dialup so I didn't want to
have to go searching through a zillion photos on the net)

-sw