Old 29-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Scott Harper

Default Composting Live Oak leaves

In article , Elliot Richmond wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:36:53 GMT, c (Scott
Harper) wrote:

So what's the word from the wise gardeners out there? Can live oak
leaves be effectively composted? Any special tricks?

Yes, they make excellent compost and are a valuable addition to the
mix. What you should do is what you said you haven't been doing,
turn, stir, mix. Also, keep them moist. If you have some way to shred
the leaves (such as a mulching mower) they will compost faster.

Okay, sounds good. One clarification regarding them being a "valuable
addition to the mix"... The oak leaves would *be* the mix, at least
somewhere over 90% of it. I leave the grass clippings where they
fall... I could start adding veggie kitchen scraps, but that still
wouldn't amount to much.

scott