Old 29-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Steve Harris

Default UV?

In article ,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Logic is right, but that is because a 5' fluorescent tube is 65 watts,
not 20, and is equivalent to 4 100 watt incandescent bulbs

Wait a minute! I don't have room for a 5' tube. I've got a plant area
about 18" long by 12" wide and I'm pumping 20W of power into it which
gives roughly the same intensity of light as I'd get with a 6' tube and
80W

I also have some foil to reflect light that tries to escape.

And those marigold seedlings are reacting like they know it's there :-)

My only slight worry is that the wavelengths may be all wrong and I
shall get no photosynthesis and loads of tanned marigolds :-)

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/