Old 29-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Brian

Default apple trees

As you live in the UK then you have tremendous choice.
Choose apples that are not designed for sale as there are much better
varieties available. Also avoid some of the old varieties as they usually
need a spraying programme. Cox's for one~ very difficult to grow without
much attention. Golden Delicious is aptly named other than it is neither
golden nor delicious in much of the UK!! Splendid grown in France.
Cordons or Espaliers on mm9[or similar] would be the best. 'Discovery' is
a first class early dessert and 'Grenadier' a prolific early fluffy cooker.
Both are reliable [and trouble free] and on this rootstock will take little
room. 'James Grieve' is another splendid variety to eat off the tree though
not if you are in the West Country.
Given the choice of only one apple I would have 'Court pendu Plat' as a
keeper dessert, despite its age. It is very difficult to obtain. It is two
thousand years old and was introduced by the Romans.
Your local garden centre would give you valuable advice and supply with
the best rootstock.
Best Wishes
"ahop" wrote in message
om...
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what type of apple
tree I should get for my garden as it is quite small 6 metres by 4
metres and also when the best time to plant would be.