Old 29-03-2004, 11:16 PM

Default fixing a lawn

In article , Koen wrote:
Hi,

Last year (in the spring) we put grass sods (fescue) in our partially
shaded backyard. The soil as in most places around here is clay, so we
used a tiller to loosen it and before putting down the sods I put cow
manure on the soil. The lawn looked reasonable for a while, but
developed some brown areas. We sprinkled regularly, so I don't think
that's related to lack of water. Anyway, now the grass is trying to

Define sprinkled regularly please. If you watered every day but
shallowly then you may have contributed to disease or you may have just
not had enought water there and the roots never went deep. In clay you
need to get an inch or so per week, but it has to be done slowly since
it penetrates clay so slowly.

grow back in some places, but many spots are still brown. Other places
have been walked on a lot and I can see the mesh from the sods. Any
suggestions how to improve my lawn? Reseed? Fertilize (which)?

I am not looking for a perfect manicured golf course, but the grass
should be comfortable enough for my kids to play on.

thanks,

- Koen.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.