Old 30-03-2004, 12:03 AM
David Hill

Default total absence of worms...

"..... seem to have an almost total lack of worms in my garden - I've been
digging down to about 15 inches and haven't seen a single worm. Any ideas
why this might be? I'm new to this garden and the soil looks fairly dusty
and poor. Would I be rewarded by introducing some worms from my sister's
wormery - she has loads. Would adding some bulky organic matter help?. .."

Just add plenty of humus, sounds as if they have nothing to feed on.
If you have a lawn then spread the grass clippings over the beds as well,
just an inch or so thick at the time, it all helps.

I have found that by dumping the grass clippings 3 or 4 inches thick under
the shrubs it kills of almost all the weeds, then later the black birds come
along and scratch hell out of them shifting any new weed seedlings.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries