Old 30-03-2004, 05:06 AM
Robert

Default Good plants for shaded areas?

Thanks Anne,

We have some sort of vine that grows wild here and eventually kills some of
the trees. I've cut some vines down that were up to 1.5 inches thick. I
don't know what it is but it grows like crazy. We also have honeysuckle
growing along an old fence which smells great when it blooms. Its just the
vines that *I* try to plant that have a rough time. ;-)

I guess I'll keep trying different things until I stumble across the right
one.

Robert

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
Robert,

It's odd about ivy: people who hate it have trouble getting rid of it,

and
people who want it have trouble getting it to grow. In my case, it grows
way too well next to the house (and up the wall), but not so well on a

small
sloped area just a few feet away (I think the water runs off before the

ivy
can use it).

One personal observation about Carolina Jessamine (jasmine): I think it
likes to be left undisturbed. There was an abundant vine on my deck

railing
when I moved here; however, after gently removing it from the railing so I
could power was & re-seal the deck, the vine never did well again.

I planted another one in its place, but apparently did not give it the
support it wanted, so that particular vine only grew along the ground

under
the deck rather than up the railing.

If you drive around, you'll see that some of the best vines are growing on
chain link fences, where I doubt the vines get much attention, if any

(based
on the vegetation in the surrounding area or parking lot).

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Robert" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks,

That might actually work nicely for some sections of our property. How

do
you start something like that off? At our old house in Durham we tried

plant ivy on a slope in front of the house and it failed miserably. I've
been trying to grow some Carolina Jasmine here which is supposed to be a
fast grower and it isn't doing much either. I don't seem to have the

touch
when it comes to vines. I do best with vegetables in raised beds and
everything else is downhill from there

Robert

"ncstockguy" wrote in message
om...
Vinca Major is a fast growing, aggressive ground cover that grows well
in the woods. It is like periwinkle only much larger. It will pretty
much take over an area, however, but is nothing like some of the worse
spreaders like kudzu or Ivy.