Old 30-03-2004, 05:39 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default total absence of worms...

The message 1gbflld.1ppi3zj1bbug8uN%hughchal_nospamthanks@eir com.net
from (Hugh Chaloner) contains these words:

I seem to have an almost total lack of worms in my garden - I've been
digging down to about 15 inches and haven't seen a single worm. Any
ideas why this might be? I'm new to this garden and the soil looks
fairly dusty and poor. Would I be rewarded by introducing some worms
from my sister's wormery - she has loads. Would adding some bulky
organic matter help?

Organic matter, yes. If worms don't appear after that, you *MIGHT* have
to introduce some, but I doubt it.

If the soil is (dry) dusty, the worms will tie themselves into little
knots to conserve moisture.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/