Old 30-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Steve Wolfe

Default Fertilized, then aerated?

I have many weeds (clovers to be exact)
throughout the lawn. I recently got advice to use Scotts Fertilizer w2
weed control. I followed all the directions and applied the product.
Unfortunately I didn't check the weather report. About 16 hours after
the application it rained. It has been 9 days since the application
and I haven't noticed any change in the lawn.

If your lawn has been neglected and not fertilized for quite some time,
usually an application of fertilizer makes a noticeable difference fairly
soon. When I moved into my house, the grass had been neglected for *years*.
My next-door neighbor's yard also looked horrible because his sprinklers had
broken and he hadn't watered for quite some time.

I helped him fix his sprinklers, then I went to Home Depot, and bought a
huge bag of cheap fertilizer, borrowed my neighbor's spreader, and spread
that bag and a couple bags of ammonium sulfate over the two lawns, greatly
in excess of the recommended "dosage". Then we watered our lawns for about
40 minutes to help the fertilizer disolve and soak into the grass.

Starting about four days later, I couldn't work in the yard without people
stopping by every ten minutes to ask how I'd made our lawns look so good.
The entire block (even those who took very good care of their lawns) wanted
to know my secret! : )

Of course, YMMV.

steve