Old 30-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Katra

Default Lizard Identification

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:36:00 -0600, Katra
wrote:

Some people call them chameleons due to the ability to change color,
(you might watch one sometime on a stump that is a dark brown, but when
they move to foliage, they will turn green).

Chameleons are butt ugly. There are much prettier ;-)

grins So ugly they are cute...

Yes, Anoles are pretty. So are skinks!

These are called "Anoles".

http://www.eoni.com/~neener/anoles.html

Neat lizards. :-)

Yeah, that's them. Here's another site I found that mentions they
dump their tail when grabbed. A good defense from cats at least.
My cat came home with one of these tails in his mouth one time, it
was still squirming - it was pretty spooky. Now I know where it
came from.

Yeah, most "true lizards" can and will dump their tails, even legless
lizards. Geckos do that too. Seen many a wriggling gecko tail in the
house. sigh It does let them get away from the cats!

The tails grow back over time. Scientists have studied lizard tail
regeneration for possible limb regrowth for years, and still don't
really understand how it works.

http://www.wildtexas.com/wildguides/anole.php

Thanks Rusty and Kathy (I'm on a slow dialup so I didn't want to
have to go searching through a zillion photos on the net)

-sw

You are most welcome! But, how did you discover my RL nickname?
I don't use it on the 'net! ;-o

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov