Old 30-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Kay Easton

Default total absence of worms...

In article 1gbflld.1ppi3zj1bbug8uN%hughchal_nospamthanks@eir com.net,
Hugh Chaloner writes
Hi,

I seem to have an almost total lack of worms in my garden - I've been
digging down to about 15 inches and haven't seen a single worm. Any
ideas why this might be? I'm new to this garden and the soil looks
fairly dusty and poor.

That's your reason. Worms like a lot of humus. See the link in my sig.

Would I be rewarded by introducing some worms
from my sister's wormery - she has loads.

No - until you have the right conditions, the worms won't be able to
live and multiply. Once your conditions are right, you could add a few
worms to get started - though the wormery worms are likely to be
brandlings liking really high levels of vegetable matter, rather than
ordinary earthworms who cope with the lesser amounts of vegetation found
in soil as opposed to a compost heap.

But don't be tempted to pay money for worms - they'll find their way
there when you have the conditions, and the start breeding rapidly.

Would adding some bulky
organic matter help?

Yes - that's the right solution.
--