Old 30-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Brown Leylandii

"andrewpreece" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote

in message

"andrewpreece" wrote in

message

"Franz Heymann"

wrote
in message

"andrewpreece" wrote in

message

Leylandii? Needles?

[snip]

Franz

Well, I dunno what to call them, they're not really

leaves
either, sort of
flattened segmented branching sprays.

Yes. You are now talking about cypress leaves.

Anyway, whatever you call them,
it's a Leylandii, I've got a whole hedge of it too so

it's
not a case of
mistaken identity. That's it then, it's coming down!

cheers,

Andy

PS; Getting the triple stump out will be a killer,

it's at
least 16" across
at the base.

At that size, it might be worth while if you can find a

tree
surgeon to come and demolish the stump in situ with a

root
grinder.

Or better still, why do you not prune the dead tree to a
sensible shape and use it as a support for growing a
climber?
Rose, clematis, Russian vine....

Franz

That's on the list of possibilities: last year, half in

anticipation
I planted a Zepherine Drouhin climbing rose, a Jackmanii

Superba
clematis and a Lonicera Henryi at the base. I'd prefer a

clean
slate but discretion is the better part of valour, so

maybe I'd
best make the trunk into a 'feature'!.

I think that is a good decision.
But you will have to do a bit of fertilising of the soil,
since the Leylandii will have emptied the cupboard overthe
years.

Franz

Franz