Old 30-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Ray

Default Volcanic Lava Rock

I wouldn't say it's a "norm," but it is yet another example that almost
anything CAN be used.

The important thing to understand is that just because person "A" is
successful with something has absolutely no bearing on its applicability to
person "B's" growing conditions.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
. net...
Just returned from an orchid "date" . Spent some time with my down the
block neighbor who grows orchid as well. She just finished repotting her
orchids and this year is the third year that she is adding volcanic lava
rock to her mix. She grows mostly Catt hybrids, miniature Phal species,
Dendrobium species, and other hybrid orchids that most orchid growers own.
She says that ever since she started adding the rocks to her mix, her
orchids improved in appearance and flowering abilities. She uses no

precise
measurements, just tosses it togeter with whatever medium she is using,
about 1:1 ratio.

I was wondering if this is an accepted "norm" for indoor orchid growing?
Does anyone have experience growing orchids in such a fashion, please

share.

Mariana