Old 30-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default New to gardening and very young

On 3/29/04 11:49 PM, in article
, "noone"
wrote:

Hello. Long post sorry. Well the background is I am a teenager almost 18
now you know the age . I know little of what I have read so far since I
know nothing about planting. Still I don't know much at all. I have a
little area in the back of my house, a yard. I want to garden do something
with that yard. It is a yard covered in grass in weeds we just cut it when
it gets high. So its not a nice grass lawn but just a common grassy spot
hehe. Regular crud. Problem is I don't know where to start. I know I have to
remove some grass I don't want to remove the whole thing I would get in
trouble with the folks. So I have to start with a small section.

I absolutely know nothing of terms I have read example mulch, spading, etc.
I just want to see if maybe some nice people may help me get started in a
small project in my yard. My budget is really small lol. Maybe some veggies
might be too tough. so there it is I do not know what to do and need
help.
AREA DESCRIPTION:
Its a small yard.
Seperated by a wooden fence but connected to the neighbors yard. Fence runs
above the dirt. So its like a big lawn that was constructed then divided by
a fence. But I have my share. Dont know if that matters.
Gets good sun out there. I am in South Florida. The dirt in the yard is
black.

If anyone can help a complete beginner I would really appreciate it because
I would like to grow something and feel proud about it.

First, find the local extension service and get the soil tested. They can
tell you what your soil needs and may be able to tell you what will grown
there.
Second, go to your local library and look at the books to see what you like
for styles - lush and tropical, cottage gardens, austere and Zen.
Third, for some instant gratification, go to the local nursery, find a large
pot, a bag or two of potting mix and something that attracts your eye in the
plant section.

Go home, fill the pot with the soil, transplant your plant into it, water
well. Settle back with the books and start reading and dreaming.

Let me know how it goes,
Cheryl