Old 30-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Tim Challenger

Default chicken manure

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:04:33 +0100, Cerumen wrote:

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
I've got a small free-range egg/chicken farmer round the corner.
If I can get him to give me some of his animal's muck, say from the

stalls
or whatever, can I use it on the garden? In the compost? Or am I wasting

my
time? Does it have to be rotted like horse manure? What about diseases,
are there likely to be any problems?

I used to keep a large number of free range birds and always composted
their litter from the nesting roosting houses, it was very good stuff and
when I could get wheat straw bedding it grew amazing mushrooms around the
base of my tomato plants after being laced with spores. (And many other
rather more unexpected places)

That's good to know. I'd be quite happy to mix it into the compost bin.
--
Tim C.