Old 30-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Sick plum tree - probably silver leaf

In article ,
(Alastair) writes:

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message ...

| Why do you think that it is silver leaf? Most fungi aren't, and
| many are not seriously harmful. Your approach isn't unreasonable,
| even if it is a harmless fungus.
|
| Simply because it is a harmful fungal infection I have heard being
| closely linked to plum trees and pruning at the wrong time of year.
| The fact that several of the branches of the tree have no leaf buds
| apparent and one of them has golf ball sized growths makes me think
| somethings up.
|
| I guess it might not be silver leaf, but I don't think it is
| harmless...

It might well not be - there are dozens or hundreds of other
possibilities! And it could well be harmless - a lot of fungi
attack only dead wood - remember that most trees (including plums)
are not usually harmed by their heartwood rotting. Oaks, willows
etc. actually benefit from it (when it happens in middle age)!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.