Old 30-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Sick plum tree - probably silver leaf

"Nick Gray" wrote in
:

Cut out any infected branch as soon as the symptoms appear!

If you don't, the fungus will get down into the trunk and - goodbye
tree.

HMMM - RHS says "Prune plums and other susceptible plants in the
summer months when there is little risk of infection.
Apply a proprietary wound treatment immediately: phenolic formulations
(Bio Arbrex Seal and Heal) or octane acid (Growing Success Prune and
Seal)."

See - http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ilver_leaf.asp

Surely that's about pruning healthy trees, to prevent them getting
infected? If this tree is already infected, it's too late to be doing
things to reduce the chances of infection: more vigorous action is
needed.

The article also says 'Cut out and dispose of dead wood, before the
fruiting bodies have developed, at a point 10-15cm (4-6in) beyond the
area where the stain in the tissues ceases.' Presumably if the fruiting
bodies are developing now, now is the time to get rid of them before
they infect everyone else's trees.

The feral plum trees infesting my garden never show the slightest sign
of any infection, and I chop at them randomly all year round :-(.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall