Old 30-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Compost

"Inge Jones" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...

Mushroom compost? (Try yellow pages under mushroom

producers). Or,
your local council may sell compost it makes from

green-waste
collections.

Janet

I was thinking more of one of the brands you can get from

a garden
centre. I'm not exactly what you could call an

"enthusiast" am I?

I mean I know I could just potter round and put something

in my trolley,
but it's really hard to get any advice when you're at the

garden centre,
so I though if I was forearmed it would be better.

I'm getting the impression that the dedicated gardeners on

this ng
aren't in the habit of picking up the odd bag of compost

at their local
Wyevale though.. (-:

The word "compost" as applied to the peat + fertiliser +
lime which you buy at garden centres does not mean the same
thing as the same word applied to compost made from
greenstuff which grew a year or two ago.

The garden centre stuff is for using neat as a planting
medium. The other is a soil imptoving agent and fertiliser.

Franz