Old 30-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Chris Palma

Default newbie question

Thanks for the tips -- I'm planning on heading to the LFS in the next few
days to see what he has in stock. I think I'm leaning towards at least
trying some crypts.

---chris

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Dick wrote:

I have a 75 gallon low light tank and it is gorgeous to my eyes. I
fought the plant problem for months before I understood what I was
fighting. Then I got an assortment of "low light" plants, rated for
less than 2 watts per gallon. I had a few that didn't survive, but
not I have about 6 species and all are flourishing. They grow slowly
thus need less maintenance. All but one of the species stay below 8
inches, but one does grow to the top and I have to trim them back and
use the cuttings to start more.

Sorry I can't name names. I know Crypt, Java, and Annubias. I think
I have 3 sub species of Java, at least they have some similarities.

There are books that list plants by light levels. I found a couple of
internet plant sellers that had assortments by light level, but some
included are rated 2.5 wpg and didn't fair well in my tank.

I don't use CO2 or any fertilizer supplements. I have over 60 fish
and they provide the nutrients.

NB: This email address is dead. If you would like to email me directly,
please use: cpalmaATSYMBOLastro.psu.edu