Old 30-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Katra

Default Fire ants in veggie garden

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article JDeac.41944$Ft.12741@lakeread02,
"Elizabeth" wrote:

Anyone know of a fire ant killer that can be used in the vegetable
garden? TIA

Amdro. Go easy with it and they will clean it all up.
1 level Tbs. per nest.

K.

Amdro is not approved for vegetable gardens. I think I might use LogicŪ
(fenoxycarb) even though it is not approved either because toxicity and
the application rate is so low (1 pound of bait per acre, I think.)
Texas A&M says you can apply the bait outside the garden and let the
worker ants carry it back in.

There is a fire ant bait that is approved for on food crops; it's called
"Extinguish" (s-methoprene), and that's all I know about it.

Dusting the mounds with diatomaceous earth (DE) might kill some ants and
irritate the rest enough that they move the mound. If they move out of
the garden you can use your favorite soil insect killers.

Rotenone is an organic pesticide that is safe and might be effective;
just make sure to control runoff because it is highly toxic to fish.

Best regards,
Bob

What about Pyrethrins?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov