Old 30-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Josh

Default Advise on submerged rocks - fish hide outs.

My local pond store practically threatened to kill me if I put rocks
on the bottom of my pond saying I would never control the algea, but
several of you are talking about doing just that for hiding places
(which is what I originally thought too) any comments?

"A.N.Other" wrote in message .. .
"Jim Humphries" wrote in message
If you do not net your pond you will lose fish frequently even with good
hiding places. After all, the heron need only be patient because the fish
cannot leave the pond area as they could in the wild.

--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC
"Ka30P" wrote in message

My 'island' sits on top of two double
stacks of builder's brick. There are
four 'caves' for the fish. After years
the bricks are covered in green.
The top of the island is a 'oil filter'
shaped planter that is level with the
water. It is filled with iris and creeping
jenny.

kathy :-)

My pond was netted, but the bloody bird still got to the fish.
i was not around when it happened, but my neighbors who saw it happen said
that the heron just stood on the net and fished through it. They chased it
away a copuple of toimes, but it just flew up to the roof of my hoouse and
waited for them to leave.