Old 30-03-2004, 09:58 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Volcanic Lava Rock

Of course not. But I'm just surprised that volcanic lava rock is not too
rough for orchid roots. I held the rocks in my hands, they're pretty rough,
uneven, and I thought that they'd surely damage the orchid roots, but
apparently not. I used to use them as a top dressing on my regular
non-orchid flowering plants, but never thought that they would be of value
as orchid medium. I do wonder though about the lava rock water retention
capabilities, oh... and what about fertilizer build up... any clue?

-M

"Ray" wrote in message
I wouldn't say it's a "norm," but it is yet another example that almost
anything CAN be used.

The important thing to understand is that just because person "A" is
successful with something has absolutely no bearing on its applicability

person "B's" growing conditions.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
. net...
Just returned from an orchid "date" . Spent some time with my down

the
block neighbor who grows orchid as well. She just finished repotting

her
orchids and this year is the third year that she is adding volcanic lava
rock to her mix. She grows mostly Catt hybrids, miniature Phal species,
Dendrobium species, and other hybrid orchids that most orchid growers

own.
She says that ever since she started adding the rocks to her mix, her
orchids improved in appearance and flowering abilities. She uses no

precise
measurements, just tosses it togeter with whatever medium she is using,
about 1:1 ratio.

I was wondering if this is an accepted "norm" for indoor orchid growing?
Does anyone have experience growing orchids in such a fashion, please

share.

Mariana